Old 27-06-2004, 07:38 PM
sarah

Default Sigh

Gwenhyffar Milgi wrote:

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 14:19:53 +0000 (UTC), "nambucca"
wrote:

"Gwenhyffar Milgi" wrote in message
news
Well, in one night, the slugs wiped out my entire veggie patch. All I
have left are the parsnips, the tomatoes and the two vines. All the
rest is gone, gone, gone.

The good news however is that the patch at the front of the house
where I have my strawberries and herbs is still intact and hasn't been
eaten at all since I started chucking the orange peels in there.

Sigh, back to the drawing board, I guess I'd best start looking at
eating 4 oranges a day and seeing if I can get any winter crops
sown/planted this year.

Excuse me while I sit in the corner weeping.

My Son in law swears by those sunken Slug beer traps .........says otherwise
he too would loose his crops

I have them. They get some of the slugs, but evidently not all.

Yes. Even with beer traps I've found that things that slugs/snails like
best are worth sowing in pots/rootrainers and grown on until they're
large enough that a slug can't take them out in a night or two before
planting out. I lost so many climbing beans last year... I also
regularly go out last thing at night with a torch and sharp knife to
kill any mollusc I see on or near my vegetables.

Now the pigeons have started on the broccoli. And the cabbage whites.
Nature red in tooth and claw. Ha. Nature with green stains around its
mouthparts, more like :-)))

regards
sarah

--
NB. Note change of *usenet* email address:
'amitiel.demon.do.uk' will soon cease to function.