Old 27-06-2004, 07:41 PM
Kay

Default Sigh

In article , Gwenhyffar
Milgi writes
Well, in one night, the slugs wiped out my entire veggie patch. All I
have left are the parsnips, the tomatoes and the two vines. All the
rest is gone, gone, gone.

The good news however is that the patch at the front of the house
where I have my strawberries and herbs is still intact and hasn't been
eaten at all since I started chucking the orange peels in there.

Sigh, back to the drawing board, I guess I'd best start looking at
eating 4 oranges a day and seeing if I can get any winter crops
sown/planted this year.

Excuse me while I sit in the corner weeping.

Broad beans and radishes seem not to be touched by slugs. Peas aren't
too bad. Dwarf french beans are a waste of time, but climbing french and
runner may be all right if you start them off indoors and plant out at
18 inches to 2ft. Chives are fine so maybe onions and leeks are worth a
try.

Potatoes and jerusalem artichokes are fine.

Or you could rely on farmers markets and local organic suppliers for eg,
and concentrate on fruit, which is in any case a lot dearer to buy.
Loganberries, gooseberries, alpine strawberries, rhubarb are untroubled
by slugs and expensive or impossible to buy. And they need a lot less
work than veg.

--
Kay