Old 27-06-2004, 08:02 PM
Kathy Bilton

Default Invasive IDs

Red '57 wrote in message . ..
Well it's that time of year and all my favorite "plants" have
reappeared in my yard. I live just north of Atlanta ( 7b ) and would
like to ask for some assistance from the group.

Here is another plant that is not too bad, but is spreads very fast. I
had never seen it until last year and that was 100 yards away from my
house. Seems to be a shade lover.

Here are two examples:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...51874461piEaui
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...51874579svJatb

It looks to me like what you've got is Microstegium vimineum - Asiatic
stiltgrass. What makes me think that is what it is is the line of
white down the center of the leaves. I've heard that it's the invasive
of most concern to managers of mid-Altantic forest areas. See:
http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/mivi1.htm

--Kathy Bilton
http://www.fred.net/kathy