Old 28-06-2004, 12:05 AM
andrew

Default Advice On Gardening

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 22:58:27 GMT, Rotax100uk
wrote:

I am now starting my own gardening business at the age of 20 and i would
like to know if anyone here has any advice which you think i should
need.

Like any new business venture it is going to take time and hard work
to get things going ....
I'm in my 50's and started up 3 years ago with an ad. in local paper
- just a few lines in classified section. Garden maintenance - covers
all sorts of things tho I did have a bit of experience with my own
gardens . Got all sorts of enquiries and visied them all . I've found
plenty of people will pay at least £12 ph for general maintenance and
older people too ....... there are many with money who just need some
muscle and are happy to advise you as you go along - a good way of
learning. The younger set ( working 12 hr a day just don't have the
time but have the money ) they just want regularly kept neat
gardens.
Started mainly grass / hedge cutting , pruning , weeding , fence &
shed painting .. anything to build up and get things going. Always
did a good + tidy job plenty of advice etc. Soon established list of
regular clients and thro word of mouth obtained further work. Have put
my price up a couple of times since I started and only lost a couple
of clients so must be doing something right !

Tips :-

If you don't have a chainsaw get one and learn how to use it safely !
Plenty of lighter work on smaller trees undercutting ( pardon pun )
tree surgeons much higher rates'

Do smaller fencing jobs erect+ repair etc. Fencers charge well over
odds ...
Same with turfing + laying patios - learn how to do it .
Also spraying weeds
..
Quote seperately for anything out of the normal garden maintenance
work.

As you gain clients trust you will be able to advise (sell ) your
ideas regarding planting / landscaping etc. and supply materials -
an extra source of income..

Put business cards thro doors of houses on new developments - many
need help with establishing new gardens. Quote cheaply to get one
under your belt that you can use for reference etc.

Try to get a client base near together so you reduce costs + save
time.

Last but not least DO YOUR HOMEWORK the internet and this NG in
particular is a wealthy source of info. Just ask .... one thing about
gardeners is they love to share their knowledge.

As you go along and gain more experience you will be more comfortable
in dealing with people and it will generate more business.
You are young and if you are enthusiastic and willing enough you will
make it .................. there's plenty of work out there - I just
wish I was younger !

Good Luck