Old 28-06-2004, 02:02 AM
Bill Oliver

Default Dead grass and roundup please help!

In article ,
Pkevinf wrote:
I really try not to use chemicals but I used Round Up on a 20 by 40
foot bed to have done by the 4th of July (per wife)... It's been down
for 5 days and the grass looks "light" green, not brown. May I still
lay 6 in. of compost/topsoil to start my bed tomorrow? The last
thing I'd want is grass growing thru.

P.S. No rain, mid 70's days, low 60's nights

Thanks!

Oddly enough, here in NW Georgia, if I use mulch, I don't have to spray
my grass. I just cover it with lots of mulch and use landscaping cloth
around the edges. So far, out of what used to be a big patch of lawn,
I get a few sprouts of grass that come up now and then, but they are
easy to spot and pull. Generally, I spend about 10 minutes each
morning pulling weeds -- it's easy to tell the grass from what I've
planted -- and I have had few things grow through. I use a lot of
mulch, though.

This is my first major gardening attempt, and I've only had these beds
since the first of the year, but so far I've been pleased with the
result. But then, I enjoy doing a little weeding in the mornings.

I don't have any problem with using Roundup, as people here know. I
use it all the time to spray for poison oak and ivy, and for clearing a
1/3 mile gravel driveway. However, it *is* expensive, and my mulch is
free. Given the choice of spending $50 on some Roundup and $50 on a
cool plant, I'll choose the latter.

billo