Old 28-06-2004, 02:05 AM
Dermuid

Default Lawn Problems

"Steve" wrote in message
: Hi all,
:
: I think I am looking for a bit of advice really .....
:
: I had a lawn turfed approximately 18 months ago ... This was carried out
: "proffessionally" with what I believe was a good quality turf supplied by
: national supplier.
:
: The problem is I am not happy with the condition of the lawn. It grows
very
: slowly ( I could leave it 3 weeks before it needs a cut ) and then not all
: of the lawn. It is patchy .... Yellow and a darker brown in places ...all
in
: all, not the lawn I had hoped for....Or paid for ...!!!
:
: Reading this group I see that many people have problems with their lawns
: this year as a result of last year's hot summer. Those of you who have
: problems are you having similar problems to that which I have described -
: am sorry but descriptions are very hard to put across what I have - I do
: believe you cannot post pictures to theis group.
:
: I am almost ready to take the decision to pull up the turf and prepare the
: soil and sow with a good quality seed. ( Late August ). or should I give
the
: lawn as is more time.
: The lawn is fed, mowed and watered to what I belive to be "text book
style".
:
: I would be greatful for any comments or advice ....
:
: Thank you

This is a strange one indeed, you say the lawn is fed and watered "text book
style", maybe the text book is wrong \\
Have you checked the soil for acidity?. The ideal soil for grass must meet
five requirements: (1) is slightly acidic, (2) contains an adequate supply
of nutrients, (3) allows deep root growth, (4) supports a thriving
population of beneficial microbes, and (5) retains moisture.