Old 28-06-2004, 11:11 AM
Philip Hart

Default Summertime... and the living is easy!

Nick Maclaren wrote in message

Follow our top 10 tips for a Cruelty-Free Summer!

various snips follow

Invite your friends round for a veggie BBQ - show them how
easy it is to feast al fresco with delicious veggie
burgers, bangers, vegetable kebabs, baked potatoes
and scrumptious salads.

Unwanted visitors to your garden can be humanely deterred.
There's no need to kill slugs, bugs and creepie crawlies!

Save the humble worm! Earth worms are a vital part of
keeping our environment and food chain healthy. So don't

squash them

What splendid ideas, I thought, heading for the nearest
organic farm for my veggies. Imagine my disappointment when
I was told that they not only failed to use worm-friendly
ploughing but actually admitted to killing thousands of
these lovable and harmless creatures annually as they tilled
the soil. How barbaric!

Next stop the organic salad, only to be told that the
lettuces were protected by placing lethal beer traps for
beautiful and friendly slugs and snails that were, after
all, only doing what comes naturally. I was not to be
consoled by the thought of these deserving creatures dying
in an alcoholic stupor and probably knew little of the
atrocious crimes being committed against them.

Finally, now desperate for something to eat, round to the
supermarket for those lovely burgers, bangers and kebabs,
made with not an ounce of flesh, just pure Brazilian Soya.
Questioning the manager revealed that the soy plants came
straight from the Matto Grosso and only a few sorry forest
Indians and their families had to die in order to produce
it. Well, I suppose I can live with that. After all, if it
means saving a few slugs and worms back home........Yummy,
delicious indeed.

PH