Old 28-06-2004, 01:06 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default If I leave the grass uncut...

In article ,
"Douglas" writes:

| If left for some time you are talking about using a hand sickle which is
| very laborious and bad for the back , or if later on, a harvesters lei.
| That's one of them there big curved scythes the farmers used to harvest
| wheat crops ..

Yes, scythes are easier for large areas, but sickles are NOT bad
for your back if you get down on your knees ....

A sickle is fine for up to about 100 square yards (not 100 yards
square!) of long grass. Above that, I agree about the effort.
But make sure that the sickle (a) is a proper agricultural one
and not a footling little 'grass hook' and (b) keep it SHARP.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.