Old 28-06-2004, 03:08 PM
Dave

Default Troy-Bilt

"Srgnt Bilko" wrote in message ...
"Dave" wrote in message:

The worst thing you ever purchased? That seems a little odd to me. I
don't think I would have shelled out $1800 on a tiller, but then I did
spend $700+ on a Troy in 1980 (what is that in 2004 dollars?) and I am
still using it although the original 6hp Tecumseh broke the rod this
Spring so for $300 I put a new 8hp Tecumseh on it. I need to adjust
the sliding block for the disengage lever every year or two. Maybe you
need to file the sliding block a bit if you have such trouble pulling
up on the disengage lever. The Honda looks like a virtual clone to me
although with some added bells and whistles. To anyone considering it
my suggestion would be to buy used, in the Fall or Winter.

I bought a Sears 8hp rear tine for $600 about the same time. I wouldn't say
it was built as solid as Troy-Bilt but I have done a lot of tilling and very
little adjustment or repair. I might be giving it up now because a bearing
went on an intermediate shaft and it looks like you have to take half the
machine apart to replace it. Just looked at a 10 year old 8 horse electric
start Troy-Bilt that looks like new. He started at $1200 and is down to
$1000. My best offer is $800. I'm getting too old and decrepid to spend
more than that at this point. My son is pushing me toward a BCS because he
likes all the attachments.

Fall and Winter is the time to buy them. I would like to look at some
of these other fancy models, like I mentioned trying the Gravely.
Don't know what attachments are really cost effective though. Changing
back and forth between attachments could be a headache.