Old 28-06-2004, 03:09 PM
bigboard

Default Tree butchery of significant trees

wrote:

Yes, I have just had a battle with the local council over a development
next to me, lots of conditions were put in place to ensure that the
protected trees weren't damaged during the development, a protective
fence was to be put up before any work started and no root or branch
work to take place without prior consent from the council, day one saw
the cutting back of the trees and a 10' deep foundation trench dug under
the upper canopy of the trees within about 6' of the trunks. I called
the council and they sent out an enforcement officer to see what was
going on, they reported to me that the developer was breaking the
conditions of the permission and he would be written to advising him as
such and that, it would seem, is about as far as they could go, "what
about the protective fence" I asked, "well if he puts up the fence he
cannot dig his trench can he?" they replied!!, we went on to explore the
pointlessness of conditions when they can be blatantly ignored but the
planning officer assured me they are still worth putting in, I remain
unconvinced.

Probably won't make a blind bit of difference, but could you write to
your council and suggest that the next time the developer in question
applies for planning permission, that they remember that he broke all
the conditions last time. If they continue to give said idiots planning
permission, perhaps the local paper might be interested at election time.