Old 28-06-2004, 05:03 PM
Jim Elbrecht

Default Diazinon replacements...not!

gary davis wrote:

-snip-
I have read all the posts to date and found them interesting. I have an
experience with lawn larvae-leather jackets we call them here in BC, Canada.
The ads on TV and radio told us that we had to use this that and the
other thing to get rid of these nasty grubs or they will kill our lawns. So
I thought I should try them...(damn, I got sucked in again)!
But, I had some resistance to the use of pesticides so thought I will do
my own experiment. I sprayed only half of my lawn.
Almost instantly, I saw some results...birds! They were eating the grubs
that were affected by the application of that pesticide. I ran out and tried
to chase them away but when I returned to the house, back they would come.
I can only imagine the affect this pesticide would have on their young.

-snip-

What was the product you were using? Your description gives
me an idea for an organic way to rid your lawn of grubs. [which might
actually be what you applied]

Spray your lawn with a product that makes the soil uncomfortable for
the grubs. [tabasco? something that makes it hard for them to
breathe? . . .. ] When they come to the surface to escape, the
birds get them. The trick would be in finding the product that is
noxious to the grubs but the birds like to taste.

Jim