Old 28-06-2004, 07:07 PM
Doctor John

Default String Algae, HELP

My experience with barley straw is that it is totally ineffective. I know
people rave about it, and my lack of effect may be in part due to living in
a cool climate (Colorado). I placed barely straw in net bags and even threw
some in the pond loose very early this spring. I filled net bags with
barely straw and crammed them in my filter. Altogether I probably put about
20 pounds of straw in my 6000 gallon pond. I currently have the worst
string algae problem ever - string algae is growing right on the net bags of
barley floating in the pond. I have a very low nutrient loading (6 small
Koi and little organic detritus input) - except for the straw! I am an
environmental chemist, and the explanation of the mechanism of straw
decomposition and its effect on algal growth never has sat well with me.
Humic acid production may occur, but this would not inhibit algal growth,
and the idea that trace levels of peroxide are produced is plausible, but
the levels may be so low as to have little effect on algal growth. I know,
tons of pond owners claim this works, and maybe under some circumstances it
could help, but all in all I think its a waste of time, at least in cooler
climates.

John

"Ken Russell" wrote in message
u...
Barley straw seems to be the most effective treatment.

I've just ordered some, so I'll let you know how it goes.

Ken Russell
Remove hat to reply by e-mail

"Mike" wrote in message
| This is the second year that I have a pond and I have managed to control
| blooms of suspended red algae by adding a proper mech/bio filter. My
water
| is clear and has been since the snow has disappeared.
|
| My problem now is that I'm getting a plethora of string algae in the

sunny
| spots of the pond. Is there and easy way to get rid of it (besides
pulling
| it out by hand) and more importantly an easy way to control and prevent
| outbreaks of string algae?
|
| Mike

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (