Old 28-06-2004, 07:13 PM
Dave Poole

Default rebirth of pelargoniums

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 11:42:34 +0100, Victoria Clare
wrote:

To my amazement, two ivy-leaved pels 'Barbe Bleu' that I cruelly left
outside planted into the base of my big passiflora pots this winter
have started shooting from the roots!

A good while back, when I used to grow a few Ivy leaved Pels, they all
overwintered here for several years with hardly a loss of leaf. They
did so well that certain varieties such as 'Mexicana' became very
large, trained up and over 6ft high tripods of canes. Each late
spring saw a rash of seedlings, some of which were worth retaining and
all of them appearing even hardier than their parents. I just keep a
few of the more showy scented leaved types now and all have
overwintered well for the past 3 years. So much so that they have to
be brutally hacked down each spring to keep them in check.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November