Old 28-06-2004, 08:09 PM
Ka30P

Default String Algae, HELP

John,

What do you think of String Algae Buster claims?

String Algae Buster which works by " forcing the strands of string algae to

take in excess calcium from the surrounding water. When the algae absorbs this
calcium, the strands break off, floating to the surface. Once they separate,
they will either go into the skimmer, or be easily weeded out by hand"

Folks are also experimenting with plain kitty litter on string algae and Lee is
trying this stuff:

The specs and MSDA are he

HREF="http://www.biosafesystems.com/labels/GC-SpecMSDS.pdf"http://www.bio
safesystems.com/labels/GC-SpecMSDS.pdf/A

And photos showing how it works are he
HREF="http://www.biosafesystems.com/stringalgae.html"http://www.biosafesy
stems.com/stringalgae.html/A

This stuff works via oxygenation versus the copper that's normally used.
Therefore, it's safe for fish, snails (darn it!) amphibians, etc. You're not
supposed to sprinkle the granules on leaves of plants you want, but once
they're dissolved in water, they're supposed to be safe for water plants.
What I DON'T know is whether or not it will affect the short stuff on the
sides of the liner . . . I guess I'll find out, huh?

I could not get the pages to open or download on two of our computers so not
sure about the links.

kathy :-)
algae primer