Old 28-06-2004, 08:15 PM
redclay

Default Hot radishes

Bob Smith wrote in message
When I was a kid, radishes used to be hot.

I heard that supermarkets sold horrible mild ones because people don't

like
them hot, so I planted my own.

Mine aren't hot! Is there a specific variety that are hot? I planted
'Saxa' because it said on the packet 'peppery taste'.
Thanks
Bob

Check the pH of your soil, acid soils( 6.0 )grow hotter stuff. Secondly do
not fertilize while they are growing just use a small amount when preparing
the bed. Mine, in the former colony of VA, have finally cooled down but it
took me years to get the dirt right. I plant the old timey kind that are red
without any white around the top.