Old 28-06-2004, 09:08 PM
Les &/or Claire

Default Hot radishes

redclay wrote:
Bob Smith wrote in message
When I was a kid, radishes used to be hot.

I heard that supermarkets sold horrible mild ones because people
don't like them hot, so I planted my own.

Mine aren't hot! Is there a specific variety that are hot? I
planted 'Saxa' because it said on the packet 'peppery taste'.
Thanks
Bob

French Breakfast used to be my favourite...

les

Check the pH of your soil, acid soils( 6.0 )grow hotter stuff.
Secondly do not fertilize while they are growing just use a small
amount when preparing the bed. Mine, in the former colony of VA,
have finally cooled down but it took me years to get the dirt right.
I plant the old timey kind that are red without any white around the
top.

--
http://www.stuffmongers.com

"Homo sapiens, the first truly free species, is about to decommission
natural selection, the force that made us.... Soon we must look deep
within ourselves and decide what we wish to become." Edward O. Wilson
Consilience, The Unity of Knowledge

Remove frontal lobes to reply from a NG