Old 29-06-2004, 04:08 AM
John Watson

Default Do I need to "age" mulch?

"Bill Oliver" wrote in message
In article ,
Karen Fletcher wrote:

I find most people tend to use too much mulch. Mulching deeply may
suppress weeds and conserve moisture, but it will also keep any but the
heaviest rain from penetrating down to the root zone where it's needed.
In areas with plentiful rain and poorly-drained soils, mulch can
contribute to root rot and fungus problems.

Maybe. I have noticed in the four months since I started this that
the areas where I have mulched heavily and planted have *never* been
dry under the mulch. When I noticed that the soil was always moist, even
when it hadn't rained for awhile, I wondered to myself if I hadn't
bought myself a fungus problem down the line. It's been raining in the
afternoon for two weeks straight and I am seeing crops of mushrooms
sprouting up through the mulch.

But... The plants seem to be thriving, and there are lots of worms and
bugs and such in soil where I turned it, so I'm crossing my fingers and
moving on.

If you look hard and long enough you may find Jesus under there also! ;-)

John