Old 29-06-2004, 11:03 AM
Dave

Default Two quick questions about featheredge fencing

"Al Reynolds" wrote in message
Hello,

I am about to do some featheredge fencing, and have
two quick questions about (1) metposts and (2) arris
rail clips.

(1) Do I fit the post to the metpost, and then knock it
into the ground, or do I put the metpost in the ground
and then knock the post in?

Don't dig a hole. Part bury a concrete spur, fill the hole with concrete,
bolt the post to the spur (with a slate underneath) - lasts for ever and
post can be replaced easily.

(2) Do I fit the arris rail clips to the arris rail, and then
nail them to the posts, or do I fit the clips to the posts
and then nail to the arris rail?

It's not hard to mortice the posts and tenon (Or wedge) the ends of the
Arris. If the panel needs to be removable then the brackets are OK - fix
them to the post first, much easier.

Also, does anyone know if you can buy a "water level"
or do you just make one up out of some clear tubing?

Why not use a piece of string?

Dave S