Old 29-06-2004, 01:04 PM
bigboard

Default Soil Tested

Ben Blackmore wrote:

Hi,

Well I finally managed to get a soil testing kit, 'focus do it all' have 1
for £11 that tests ph, & nitrogen, phosphorus, and potash (npk). I tested
each side of the garden and got pretty much the same results.
My soil is between ph 7.5 & 8.0 which I think is a little sweet for what I
want to grow, I'd like to get it down between 6.0 & 7.0, how can I achieve
this?
The nutrients test showed that Nitrogen is high, and potash is ok, but
phosphorus is very low, what's the easiest/quickest way to get phosphorus
into the soil. Is it even a good idea to add phosphorus? I read on a few web
sites that adding to much can be worse than having none at all.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Ben

Like most things soil related, the application of as much compost and
manure as you possibly can will be of some help in lowering the pH as
well as adding any missing nutrients.