Old 29-06-2004, 01:04 PM
Martin Brown

Default Aerating the lawn.

In message , Bob Smith
writes

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 8/6/04 11:40 pm, in article
, "Dermuid"
wrote:

What gadgets are available for aerating lawns, maybe someone has a novel
idea for making one up.

I have seen one from Wolf Garten which consists of two tubes on a bar,

costs
about £25.00, it could take forever to do a lawn with this and it does

not
seem worth it to me.

Mine has about 4 tubes on a crude steel frame. Nominally a hollow tined
fork. It isn't particularly well designed and clogs frequently on my
clay soil. Hammering rebar through the holes to unblock them slows
progress immensely. You could make one welded from angle iron and steel
tube.

You also need very heavy footwear to drive the thing in without breaking
the sole of the shoe. At least on my heavy clay soil.

I saw one thing in the innovations catalogue: Some giant sandals (2 foot by
1 foot) with loads of spikes on. Don't know if they worked OK, since
innovations usually has useless and pointless inventions in it.

Forget anything in the innovations catalogue. It might work nicely in
theory on a soft sandy beach but against heavy clay where you really
need some help with drainage it will never cut it.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown