Old 29-06-2004, 03:17 PM
Charlie Pridham

Default Dierama dieback

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
. 206...
About half my young dierama plants (grown from seed) died right back over
the winter, and there is still no sign of them. I dug one up, and there
does seem to be a small but healthy corm there - but it's doing nothing!

The ones that stayed green over the winter are putting out new leaves and
look very healthy.

Are the died back corms likely to recover, or should I chuck the ones in
pots and overplant the places where the ones in the ground were ?

There seems to be no relation between position/planting/compost and plants
that vanished over the winter.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall

I find that when I pot on the germinated seedlings of Dierama that if I over
pot them they die off, and subsequent care of the small plants is tricky as
they are prone to frost damage untill in the open ground, but if you put
them out small you are likely to never see them again! If you need more seed
for next year get in touch I usually have loads of both D. pulcherrimum and
D. pendulum. In the mean time I would almalgamate all the corms that are not
growing in one pot and wait and see.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk