Old 29-06-2004, 03:17 PM
nightjar

Default Two quick questions about featheredge fencing

"Bob Smith" wrote in message

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert_my_surname_here wrote in message
. ..

snip
If you want the fence to last, you thow the Metposts away, buy longer

posts,
bore a post hole, put the post in and backfill with concrete. However,

ISTR
seeing a driving tool for Metposts, which suggests you drive them in

first.

How do you stop the wood from rotting?

As the reinforced concrete posts of the original fence had managed to last
nearly 70 years, I reckoned that was a good material for the replacements. I
also put in concrete gravel boards along the bottom of the fence. If you do
concrete wooden posts in, make sure that the post is bedded slightly into a
layer of gravel before you pour the concrete. That avoids a water trap at
the bottom of the post. Where I have used wooden posts within the garden, I
used oak, which was not a lot dearer than pressure treated softwood and it
still looks like new seven years on.

Colin Bignell