Old 29-06-2004, 04:09 PM
Janet Baraclough..

Default Dierama dieback

The message
from "Charlie Pridham" contains these words:

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
. 206...
About half my young dierama plants (grown from seed) died right back over
the winter, and there is still no sign of them. I dug one up, and there
does seem to be a small but healthy corm there - but it's doing nothing!

The ones that stayed green over the winter are putting out new leaves and
look very healthy.

I find that when I pot on the germinated seedlings of Dierama that if I over
pot them they die off, and subsequent care of the small plants is tricky as
they are prone to frost damage untill in the open ground, but if you put
them out small you are likely to never see them again!

Mine were sown when they ripened late last summer, germinated over
winter in the cold frame, and are still in their sowing-pot looking very
healthy. I'm planning to keep them in the pot until I absolutely have to
slide them into a larger one, and plant them out as a clump once they
have reached a good size.

If they survive that, my plan is to divide the clump in a year or two.
So here's the question..is this a good idea, or do established dieramas
object to disturbance?

Janet