Old 29-06-2004, 06:12 PM
john

Default Ideas for steep hill?

On 29 Jun 2004 05:20:02 -0700, (Chet Hayes)
wrote:

I agree with the groundcover idea. That combined with some other
local plants can create a nice effect. It's hard to give any
specifics without knowing your location, amount of sun, etc.

Given the steep grade that ends at your house, I would also be
concerned about drainage. Before landscaping it, I'd be certain you
have that taken into account. IF I had a grade that steep ending
against a wall, I'd definitely have a drain system in place to channel
the surface water away.

Thanks. It's Milwaukee, Wisconsin, so 4 seasons each in full swing in
it's time. The hill faces east, and gets full sun until it gets past
the garage in the early afternoon. In fall / winter / spring when the
sun is farther south, it gets some afternoon sun as well when the path
takes it not over my garage, but at an angle.

Ground cover sounds good - my concern is the soil - I may have to
bring some topsoil in because we have such a high clay content in the
ground here, and I don't know how much good soil is there on the hill
anymore.

Will check with our local "Nature's Nook" to see if they have any
recommendations. I'd much rather plant than landscape.

Thanks guys!

John