Old 29-06-2004, 08:02 PM
Matt

Default Hydrangeas have stopped blooming :(

As others have noted, most hydrangeas bloom on last years growth,
commonly referred to as "old growth". If the plant was pruned in the late
fall or early spring, or the plant died down to the ground over the winter,
then your chances for blooms are slim to none.
You have a few options here. As previously mentioned, you can offer
your hydrangeas some winter protection in order to preserve the bud sites
over the winter. If you aren't able or willing to do this additional work
every fall you could always dig them up and replace with one of the new
cultivars that blooms on "new wood" or the current seasons new growth.
I just purchased one of these newer varieties this spring, an Endless
Summer Hydrangea. It alreay has 6 large blooms and is growing new ones
everytime I look at it. All on this seasons new growth as the plant was
pruned down to the ground in the gallon container when I bought it this
spring.
good luck,
Matt in MI

"Mary" wrote in message
om...
I had two large beautiful plants--one rose, one blue-green--but this
season there are no blooms, and last summer there weren't any either,
just lush leaves. I suspect our recent harsh winters had something to
do with this. I'm wondering if I should bite the bullet and dig them
up, or has anyone seen blooms after several non-blooming seasons?
Thank you!

Mary