Old 29-06-2004, 10:14 PM
t gilb

Default Gas Grills -- No longer use briquets ??

"James Nipper" wrote in message

I went shopping this week to replace my old gas grill. For many years, I
used a gas grill from Sears (small grill, low-cost) that used briquets

that
heated up and helped with the cooking.

Now, I can't find any grills that use briquets !! They seemed to have

been
replaced by a "vaporizer" , instead of briquets.

How does a vaporizer take the place of the briquets, or is this just a
cheaper way for manufacturers to make a gas grill ?

Anyone have any comments or knowledge about this ?

I will appreciate any helpful comments.

Thanks !!

--James--

After a year of using the "vaporizer" that came with my gas grill I
converted it to one using briquettes and was pleased with the results. The
food seems to taste better and I seem to be able to attain higher
cooking/searing temps by letting the briquettes pre-heat longer. A downside
is the residue from cooking now falls on the burners and their life span
seems to be shorter as the "vaporizer" acted like a roof over the burners. I
didn't have room to leave the "vaporizer" and also use briquettes.