Old 30-06-2004, 02:06 AM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

Default Trickle down veggie filter ?

I'm late replying, sorry.

For the filter, if you can gently slope the bottom to the center or one
side/end, you can have the muck collect and be easier to vacuum.

Let us know how it works.

Jim

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

"GrannyGrump" wrote in message

Can you arrange a bottom drain? It makes crud removal so much easier.

No. Cleaning from the top with a wet/dry shop is how I will have to do
it.

Can you set up some sort of easy/light mechanical filter for the physical
stuff and let roots do the rest? Maybe screen in bags.

I plan on using mesh bags to hold everything. Figure that is the
easiest for me to clean.

Our WH and celery both have great root systems. The celery is in a

kiddie
pool and has its roots to the bottom. The pool is thus full of roots for
the water to work its way through.

Planning on these and cress too.

Slow flow through the plants allows most of the muck to drop. The roots
collect muck and provide surface for bacteria. We think is is probably

MORE
surface than lava rock. Think about a 5' x 1' mass of roots.

That's what I think will be in the one I intend to make.

Cleaning plants is a lot easier than cleaning lava rock.

Have decided against lava rock. Previous experience shows me that it
isn't a good idea.