Old 30-06-2004, 05:02 AM
Vox Humana

Default Hydrangeas have stopped blooming :(

"DigitalVinyl" wrote in message
Can you prune hydrangeas safely without sacrificing blooms?

My landlord's is getting long and tall. I had read to prune them in
late winter while still dormant. Instead they cut them in spring when
the lower part was already leafing out. Only 2-3 blooms on low
branches.

The best time to prune without sacrificing flowers is immediately after they
bloom in the spring or early summer In my area, that would now. That gives
them time to put on some growth and form next years flower buds. It's the
same idea as with most spring blooming shrubs such as azaleas. I'm talking
about hydrangea macrophylla. I'm not sure about paniculata, or quercifolia,
as mine are so slow growing that pruning isn't a consideration. I've never
hear anyone discuss pruning hydrangea petiolaris. My hunch would be that
you would prune it in the early summer after it blooms.