Old 30-06-2004, 05:05 AM
Sunflower

Default Best way to propogate Hollyhocks?

"Volfie" wrote in message
Hi everyone,
I was wondering what the best way would be to get my Hollyhocks to keep
growing year after year? Do you let them naturally reseed themselves
(letting the seeds drop and overwinter on the ground) or do you gather

them
up and spread the seeds in the spring at planting time? Is there some
advantage to those seeds being on the ground all winter? The few times
I've tried to let seeds naturally reseed I didn't think it worked as well

as
it could -- in fact, it was sort of a miserable failure. What plants did
grow didn't grow where I wanted them to. Of course, right?

I'm new to this area and for the first time I am experiencing winters that
get down to temps like -17 F so perhaps that is too cold for successful
reseeding? I think that I'm in a Zone 5 or 6 (I'm sort of on a border

here
in west central Indiana) and I can't quite figure out how to make this

work.

Thanks for any help,
Giselle

Let the seeds fall after ripening and they'll be there next spring just
fine.