Old 30-06-2004, 05:05 AM
Steven M. Scharf

Default Gas Grills -- No longer use briquets ??

"James Nipper" wrote in message

I went shopping this week to replace my old gas grill. For many years, I
used a gas grill from Sears (small grill, low-cost) that used briquets

that
heated up and helped with the cooking.

Now, I can't find any grills that use briquets !! They seemed to have

been
replaced by a "vaporizer" , instead of briquets.

How does a vaporizer take the place of the briquets, or is this just a
cheaper way for manufacturers to make a gas grill ?

I just replaced a 15 year old $100 Montgomery Ward gas grill with a big
stainless-steel Kirkland gas grill from Costco. No more "lava rocks." I
can't say that I notice a difference, but I'd have to compare the food
side-by-by side. The big difference is that the stainless steel grill is
three times as large, and was eight times as expensive (though adjusting for
inflation, it was probably only about three times as expensive).

The gas grill I bought has a little drawer where you can put in wood chips
to add the wood flavor, but I haven't tried it yet.

It probably is cheaper to not have the lava rocks, but I also think that
it's for reliability as well.