Old 30-06-2004, 08:02 AM
gregpresley

Default Bush and his religion?

"Bill Oliver" wrote in message
If the best you can do is deny that a parable is a parable in order
to promote your bigotry, I suggest you take your irrational hatred
elsewhere.

billo

Bill, I have no problem believing that much of the Bible was written in the
form of parables. You cannot imagine the arguments I have had with
fundamentalist Christians when I have suggested that the creation outline of
Genesis, could, without loss of religious significance, simply be
interpreted as a parable intended to show that God took a personal interest
in the development of life on the earth. THAT way of looking at Genesis was
never acceptable to them. Their response was inevitably that the creation
story is meant to be read as the literal "truth" and as the only valid
"scientific" explanation - and internal inconsistencies, such as the two
completely different and mutually incompatible explanations of the creation
of man are glossed over with far-reaching and unconvincing semantic
gymnastics. It creates a problem for those of us who are not hostile to
Christianity, but who would like some acknowledgment that religious issues
and interpretation are not always matters of black and white, right or
wrong, my way or the highway.