Old 30-06-2004, 12:09 PM
dave @ stejonda

Default Too late to severely cut back budlea davidii??

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
(Rebecca) writes:

| I had some great advice form this group pruning my semi fallen
| budlea earlier this year. I took the risk and cut it back to 1ft and
| it has now sprouted new growth like a weed and looks great. (I still
| find it hard to believe that I dont kill everything I touch in the
| garden - Im new to this gardening lark).
|
| I have a couple more which look tall and straggly and after such a
| success I know want to know if it is too late too cut these others
| right back?

It's getting a bit late for such drastic treatment, because the
new wood may not ripen for the winter.

Really? My davidii has only grown to half its usual height so far so
there'll be a lot of new growth yet and I've never had problems with its
hardiness over winter. Maybe it depends on where Rebecca is in the UK?

--
dave @ stejonda
Bring culture back to NTL.