Old 30-06-2004, 12:10 PM
Stephen Howard

Default Too late to severely cut back budlea davidii??

On 30 Jun 2004 10:19:37 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
(Rebecca) writes:

| I had some great advice form this group pruning my semi fallen
| budlea earlier this year. I took the risk and cut it back to 1ft and
| it has now sprouted new growth like a weed and looks great. (I still
| find it hard to believe that I dont kill everything I touch in the
| garden - Im new to this gardening lark).
|
| I have a couple more which look tall and straggly and after such a
| success I know want to know if it is too late too cut these others
| right back?

It's getting a bit late for such drastic treatment, because the
new wood may not ripen for the winter.

I cut my Bud's back in late Autumn because they have a tendency to
hang onto their leaves, and they're not particularly deep rooting -
which makes the vulnerable to winter gales.

I don't think ripening of new wood would be a problem - Bud's throw
out new shoots right the way into Autumn, so there's always new wood
that has to make it through winter...and I've never yet notice any
frost damage on new stems.

I'd be inclined to let them grow on, to build up the roots, then hack
them back in late September.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk