Old 30-06-2004, 01:04 PM
jameson

Default River Birch questions

Hi all.
Newbie here. Mid Alabama resident.
I have two questions concerning my 2 River Birches. I have let these
problems go one hoping to figure them out myself, until this morning
when I expressed concern for them for the 12th time my wife finally
said "Go to google groups!" So here I am...

We have lived in our home for about 1.5 years. The home is 10 years
old. So I assume the RBs in my front yard are between 12 and 15 years
old, very nice size and provide awesome shade.

Last year, I found that they had a few "cacoons" in them... full of
catipillars. I ignored one or two, then in a few short weeks, both
looked like spiderman got high and went nuts on them! It was too late,
but I bought some insect killer bottle that you connect to your water
hose, sprayed the trees, and the caterpillars inside died. Too late
though, the trees were on their way to an early winter nap. This
summer the trees are flourishing! Looking great! Spotted 3 or 4
cacoons early in May. I sprayed them down, and they are no more.
My first question is this; are these what yall call "Leaf Miners?" And
whatever they are called, is there good preventive maintenece to avoid
them attacking my RBs?

River Birch Question number 2...
It is Late June here right now. But recently, the RBs are acting like
it is FALL! there are leaves all in my front yard from the RBs, they
still have a healthy ammount of leaves on them, but many are turing
yellow, and falling off. At first I thought it was due to the heavy
wind and rains we have had recently, but ill look out my window with
no wind outside and a leaf will just fall off right in front of my
eyes. I dont watter them (I know I know) but never have and they seem
to be fine with that. Plus, we get a rain shower on average every day
at 2pm here in the south suring the summer. Any clue?
thanks in advance!
Jameson