Old 30-06-2004, 02:04 PM
Stephen Howard

Default Too late to severely cut back budlea davidii??

On 30 Jun 2004 11:28:40 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
Stephen Howard writes:

| I don't think ripening of new wood would be a problem - Bud's throw
| out new shoots right the way into Autumn, so there's always new wood
| that has to make it through winter...and I've never yet notice any
| frost damage on new stems.

Mine get it even the mild winters we have been having recently.
They suffer some damage at -5 Celcius and considerable damage
at -10 Celcius. At the sort of lows we had up until a decade
ago (-15 Celcius), even half-ripe wood may be killed.

| I'd be inclined to let them grow on, to build up the roots, then hack
| them back in late September.

I would be inclined to trim them now, and cut back to 1' next
spring after the risk of serious frost is over.

That's a good point - my garden is fairly well protected from frost,
only certain parts get the full whack - so there's a chance that the
Bud's have never been hit by a real freeze.

In which case, yes, trimming back now, followed by a hard cut in
spring would be sensible.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk