Old 30-06-2004, 04:23 PM
sarah

Default Flagging Borders

Joanne wrote:

My mixed border is lacking pizzaz at the moment. I'm anticipating lots of
colour from late summer into autumn (sedum, rudbeckia, aster, anenome,
echinacea, verbena bonariensis), but it's become glaringly obvious that I've
not planted anything for this time of year.

So, what colourful perennials are in full bloom in your gardens right now
(particularly in North West England)?

Clary Sage (Salvia sclarea)
Eryngium giganteum
Achillea 'Moon[something]' (pale yellow)
Meadow geranium
Campanula poschkary-whatnot
Campanula persicifolia
Campanula takesimana (I think that's the name)
Campanula alliarifolia
Nepeta 'Six Hills Giant'
A large pale yellow single ox-eye-type daisy, the name of which I've
forgotten
Rose 'Mme Hardy' (old moss, white with green eye, strongly scented)
Three David Austin roses in shades of yellow and apricot
Rose 'Gloire de Dijon'
Rose 'Maiden's Blush'
Clematis durandii (really good value, this one. Masses of dark blue
flowers over several weeks)
Clematis integrifolia
Viola cornuta
Astrantia (white/green)
Lavender 'Hidcote'
Lots of silver/pale green leaved things, including wormwood and Buddleia
fallowiana alba, and a scattering of Verbena bonariensis (compulsory,
innit?)

I'm further south and drier than you, but perhaps some of these would
survive with you. I'm surprised at the length of the list!

regards
sarah

--
NB. Note change of *usenet* email address:
'amitiel.demon.do.uk' will soon cease to function.