Old 30-06-2004, 05:10 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Too late to severely cut back budlea davidii??

In article ,
Martin Brown writes:

| It does. But, except in the mildest areas, late summer growth of
| buddleia is very likely to be killed. This is not a big deal,
| as it merely delays flowering, but I would be chary of cutting
| a buddleia back to 1' now.
|
| I have never noticed serious die back on mine in N Yorks. But I would
| not want to prune them hard right now as they are almost coming into
| flower.

It's never been serious here, but the tips of most shoots and some
whole shoots get killed every year. As that is less than needs
pruning away, it is unimportant. What would be risky in colder
areas would be shearing off now, meaning that ALL the new wood
is unripe next winter.

| I might be tempted to thin out straggling or damaged stems though.

I agree.

| Hard pruning appears to delay flowering of established budleas by a week
| or so. I have two identical bushes in similar positions though one was
| blocking the driveway and was severely cut back last year. It is still
| in bud the other is well into flower.

My experience is that frost pruning has a similar effect. Of course,
I could be mistaking the cause, and it might be drying, sub-zero
winds rather than the temperature as such. Whatever.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.