Old 30-06-2004, 09:15 PM
John Dhom

Default Bonsai mix - source for organic component(s)

Hey all,

I'm spending inordinate amounts of time sieving my organic material and
could use some encouraging words regarding a) better sources, b) better
materials, c) better techniques, d) better tools. Currently I'm using pine
bark, by the bag from lowes/home despot. Typically I double screen into 2 or
3 sizes. Too much wood parts to pull out and too little yield for the effort
expended. blah, blah, blah.

I like to use the same mix, components, for my big herb/flower containers as
well. So, in terms of quantity I'm looking at less than a pickup truck load
of sieved organic material, all sizes combined, per year.

Generally speaking I see 3 categories of options...
1) better source material (bulk sized a la Brent/CA, bark/bark product
with significantly better yield)
2) better sieve (read bigger)
3) mechanical sieve (hammer mill, whatever)

So... given the quantity I need what are your thoughts?

BTW... I'm currently planning a trip to a tree farm in McMinnville(sp?),
they do containers, to see what they're using for their mix. My current
round of calls is a search for hammer mill rental (with replaceable screens)
with the intent of using bark mini-nuggets as source.

Help me, help me, help me

Central Tennessee, USDA zone 6a-6b, Sunset zone 33