Old 30-06-2004, 10:05 PM
Steven Wachs

Default [IBC] Bonsai mix - source for organic component(s)

I like to use Miracle Grow potting mix, sand, perlite, peat moss, and
compost. Generally in equal proportions for junipers I add more sand and for pines
even more sand. When I repot. I recycle my soil. adding usually repot every 2
to 3 years. I grow maples in cedar boxes I water all trees everyday. This
proportions works well with my watering habits and seasonal conditions where I
live. I find it easier to adjust my soil to coincide with my watering habits.
I am not losing trees. so I am happy with my set up for now.
I grow Japanese Maples, Pines, Elms, Hornbeam, Beech, Junipers and Azaleas.
The bottom line is that you should use mixtures that suits your needs.
Sometimes it's by trial and error. Sometimes you find information that is
adaptable to your situation. there is no right way. there are only wrong ways if you
lose trees

SteveW

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++