Old 30-06-2004, 10:37 PM
Mike Lyle

Default Lawn on a roof terrace?

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message ...
[...]
The main issue you are likely to face is the structural strength needed to
support the soil and turf.

[...]

I've just posted a warning note from a 'green' point of view. But it
occurred to me on the way to the loo that another solution might be to
cultivate an area of _moss_. This would be light in weight and have a
very low nutritional requirement; and would never need mowing (but
some weeding would be needed every now and then); it would rarely be
as green as grass, and by no means as hard-wearing, and would come up
against my water-consumption objection, but I can see it as very
attractive, and a zillion gardeners would leap at the chance to offer
you sacks of the raw material. You could stick spots of it on with
thin PVA glue mixed with a little compost and maybe milk, and let it
rip, just as you would if trying to age a garden rock in a hurry.

Can I come and try, please?

Mike.