Old 30-06-2004, 11:27 PM
Jonny

Default Tomatoes - first year - problem?

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 08:37:33 +0100, "mike. buckley"
wrote:

Hello,

Need some advice for my Toms. This is the first year I've grown them and
I'm treating it very much as a learning exercise, which is probably a
good job.....

snip
I find toms very perplexing. I have had and indeed do have the
symptoms you are describing and others for by. The end result though
always seems to be tomatoes, lots of 'em. It seems to me that they are
generally pretty hardy.
Regarding watering from the top or bottom as mentioned in another
reply, I always use a method I saw several years ago on TV by Alan
Titchmarsh. I am growing them in a bed in a greenhouse, rather than
pots, but grow bags would be the same. When I plant them from their
pots into the greenhouse I bury the pot into the soil beside the
plant. I fill the pot daily from the watering can, rather than
watering the plant itself. So the water, and indeed any feed, is going
to where it's needed, i.e. the roots.
Seems to work.
Regards
Jonny