Old 01-07-2004, 12:12 AM
Mike Lyle

Default Over-Fertilised

"Joanne" wrote in message news:zVxEc.27$Ln6.19@newsfe4-gui...
I made a mistake with my measuring and consequently over-fertilised my
tomatoes and aubergines. I flushed them with clear water when I realised
what I'd done. This was about a month ago.

Should I not fertilise again this season, or would it be okay to begin
fertilising again (paying better attention to the instructions this time)?

I assume they're in pots. If they aren't showing signs of damage, I'm
sure you're OK to start normal feeding again. Artificial fertilizers
do carry a risk of over-feeding, but there's quite a margin of error
with the ones you water on. Maybe half-strength for the first couple
of feeds if you're not too sure?

Plants are more interested in water than in food most of the time,
anyhow: a full-grown tomato plant going full blast may drink up to two
gallons a day in good weather. Watch for bad-looking leaves.

I wouldn't be surprised if the makers of Phostrogen or whatever had a
help-line on their website, or a list of FAQs.

Mike.