Old 01-07-2004, 01:14 AM
tuin man

Default Advice On Gardening

"andrew" wrote in message

If you give people a 'job price' rather than a cost per hour, it's
easier for them to see exactly how much they will have to pay, (though
you do take a bit of a risk if it takes longer than expected.)

But sometimes they do not want to pay 'job price', because they don't

want
to pay for any potential profit that might be gained.

I have found with new clients that for regular maintenance its best
to quote per hour -

I too found this. But it took a bit of getting used too.
Prior to arriving in UK I did just about everything by price. Be that
cutting hedges, (priced at either cubic or square metre with prices ranging
according to hedge type and height)planting schemes, lawns, patios... you
name it, I'd work out a price. When the job was done and the customer
satisfied there was simply the matter of payment. At that point I cannot
reacall anyone asking; how much? How much had already being agreed before
work commenced.
The only people who I had ever known to charge per hour were cowboys whose
main aim was to drag things out, or the otherwise clueless.
On arrival to London, I adopted the same approach, but came up against a
wall.
The only way to stop me being taken advantage off, was to adopt the hour
rate. I still think it's a bad idea, both for me personally, my business and
the customer, but I guess; when in Rome...
Usually, if circumstances allow, I point out that I can either offer an
estimate, or a fixed price. But I find myself in the bizarre position of
having to outlline the differences. I point out that in monetary terms the
only difference is that I assume a risk in the case of the fixed price and
in order to make allowences for that risk, inclusive of absorbing the cost
of minor changes requested by him/her, the fixed price is around 10 to15%
more than the estimate. The estimate is based on calculations which tend to
be correct, but he/she assumes the risks (e.g. if more topsoil has to be dug
out than expected so as to reach subsoil layer for foundations/footings.),
but may just as easily turn out slightly cheaper.
The response has often being to take the 'job price', but then upon payment
time and based on their own calculations, object to the job price in favour
of the estimate.
I find borders along the lines of on sub normal intelligence. Crass
backwardness is more blunt.
They begin with "So... How much do I owe you NOW?"
There was just one occasion when, because of one thing or another, the job
price was slighly low, partly due to client changes and the client enquired
if it still stoods and naturally I have said Yes, off course. Not a lot like
him around.

Patrick