Old 01-07-2004, 02:09 AM
Tom L. La Bron

Default Flooming Anyone?

How,

The technique with air is right and wrong in Ingrid's
statement. The larger the bubble produced by an air
diffuser moves more water to the surface lifting large
quantities of water off the bottom of the pond
preventing layering circulating the water, but the
finer the bubble you have in your air diffuser the more
air/oxygen exchange there is within the water as the
bubbles move to the surface. If you use large bubble
air diffuser you get the same effect as having a pump
at the bottom of the pond. In the winter, through, it
is better to use an aerator with fine bubbles because
you get the air/oxygen exchange with less disturbance
of the water column bringing less the water from the
bottom to the top to be cooled off as the very small
bubbles float leisurely to the surface.

In addition, for the pump to really be affective in
this technique the stream of water needs to break the
water surface tension slightly, which is where air
diffusers are superior because of the busting of the
bubbles as they break the surface.

Personally, I think that the flooming term is silly.

HTH

Tom L.L.
how wrote:
wrote in message

it is complete and utter nonsense. the fine air bubbles put into the

water by good

airstones lifts the entire water column from below, it blows toxic gases

out while it

vastly increases oxygenation of the water. looks like somebody wasn't

paying

attention in physics classes.
and, I might add, take a look at how many watts that water pump is sucking

up and

produces a vastly inferior aeration.

snipped the stuff on winter as I'm not a believer

Hi,
Have to agree with the doc here, great new name (flooming) that even works
to a degree by increasing the surface area of the pond. If you do the math
the amount of this increase is minimal hence negligible in aeration. Bubbles
and the smaller the better are the way to go. I do use aerators on Lil
Giant 6CIMs (real watt hogs) as emergency aerators but only temporarily and
I'm not buying the juice.
L8R -_- how
no NEWS is good