Old 01-07-2004, 03:05 AM
Andrew G

Default [IBC] Root Pruning, and Top Pruning

"Brent Walston" wrote in message
ic.net...
At 09:14 PM 6/30/04 +1000, Andrew wrote:
Hi everyone.
New to the Newsgroup, and been into Bonsai for about 5yrs.
But recent reading has left me a little confused.
Some books state that when root pruning at end of winter/start of spring,

also top prune once you have repotted. Equalising the top to the bottom.
However other readings have said to allow a month between root pruning,

and
top pruning. With root pruning being first, and doing them too close
together can stress the plant.

Andrew

So much for the books. This situation points out the dangers of using

'cook
book' solutions rather than understanding the physiology involved. Since
the writers of most books are artists first and horticulturists second,

the
latter often gets short shrift.

SNIP

Thanks for the help.
It's sometimes think the reading of books makes it all the more harder, well
confusing at least.
Amongst books I have, 2 are by the "Koreshofs" sp?, which used to, and may
still own a bonsai nursery not too far from here near Sydney. Apparently
well known bonsai creators, so certainly books I would/did take advice from.
Anyway, with one book being on Australian Native bonsais, the whole thing
with them is mostly critical root pruning during dormancy. Dormancy which
happens many times a year for short periods, some natives never going into
dormancy and you have to induce it artificially.
I'm a horticulturist, but bonsai offers so much more to learn. As a general
rule learnt by Horticulturists here in OZ, Natives do not like the roots
disturbed, and never move a native unless it's going to die anyway (e.g it
is in the way of something), and even then the transplant will mostly fail.
So I can understand the balance rule when growing. Until now/and reading
books I pruned my bonsai, both top and roots usually around Spring. Spring
because everything started growing, so the roots would rejuvenate/grow, and
I did the top at the same time purely cos I was working on the plant anyway,
and I knew it was going to throw new shoots/get new growth. Natives I have I
haven't yet touched the roots. Another general rule with garden plants here
is don't prune close to upcoming winter, as the frost will kill new shoots.
The natives don't necessesarily go into dormancy in winter here as the
daytime temps are about 20-22 degs cel.
I guess my original question was to do with bonsai in general, not just
natives.
Anyway, thanks again for the help, and your advice is greatly appreciated.

Andrew
NSW Australia