Old 29-01-2003, 12:53 AM
Robyn Rhudy

Default pond de-icer

Your de-icer may not be dead. See my winterizing page on how to check
using your freezer and a simple test. My de-icers used to always reset
during high winds and stop working. They just had to be reset. Last
night, my waterfall and de-icer stopped running. The de-icer had a short.
I keep 2 brand new spares at all times and put in a new one at a different
spot. My falls are still running. The ice is 8 inches thick and our lows
have been from 5 to 18 the last month! Finally, it's getting warmer. If
you want to read about the hell I've gone through to keep my pond open
this winter from hell, sign up for my newsletter. The next issue comes
out Saturday. I will also put on 5 new photos of my totally frozen over
pond then on my winterizing page. I'm in Zone 6/7 (on the line). I just
KNOW I've lost plants and fish this year even though I can't see anything
down there yet. This is the worst winter since I've had ponds. It's
funny, my 153 gallon pond is half open! Just a de-icer and a bubbler. In
past years, before the bubbler, the de-icer would freeze in all the time
(I wasn't dead, just reset as I said above and on my site) and I lost
dozens of frogs in that pond. They suffocated. The falls on my big pond
see a lot of action, from bluebirds, squirrels, raccoons, and everyone
else since there is not a drop of melted water anywhere else!

Winterizing page = http://userpages.umbc.edu/~rrhudy1/winter.htm
Newsletter page = http://userpages.umbc.edu/~rrhudy1/news.htm

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, D Kat wrote:

I don't suppose you have a link with instructions to the pond de-icer.....

Both of my water heaters (type for keeping outdoor watering hole open) died
and I'm fighting a losing battle trying to keep a hole in the ice open. I
cannot find an outdoor airbubbler (or whatever they are called) and I'm
looking for a temp fix until I do. It is really cold of late on Long Island
and pouring boiling water to open up the ice just doesn't make it with this
weather.

"MsNick1" wrote in message
Hi Pete,
I believe it's me you are trying to reach.
Christine and
Sadie, dalmatian,
Kahlua and her kids, Chip & Skye (chocolate labs),
Pete & Bones the Cats,
Bandit the parrot,
and the Reptile Critters!
http://members.aol.com/msnick1/index/index.html

Chemist, preservationist, animal lover, aquarist, and ponder. -
Extensive web pages on animals, fish, and ponds. -
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~rrhudy1/ -
Free pond newsletter - sign up at my web site -
Finally! Buy Robyn's Pond Book at www.1stbooks.com -
_ _
(o)____(o) ---ribbit
_/ oo \_