Old 01-07-2004, 05:03 AM
H Davis

Default River Birch questions

Jameson:

I live in the Chicago area and have several river birches in my yard. There
are also a lot of river birches in the area, and almost all of them have the
leaf drop problem. Along with that, many of the leaves on the trees are not
a strong dark green, but rather light green. My understanding is that it is
caused by a lack of a "mineral" of some type. The trees aren't being fed
what they need. My river birches are very large, by the way. One of them has
a diameter of over 30" three feet up from the base.

The leaf drop occurs every year. We have a guy around here who advertises
that he can stop the leaf drop and make the trees "healthy" again. Maybe so.
I may give it a shot on a couple of the smaller trees. The very large one
has just about reached the end of its life cycle after 27 years.

Harlan

"jameson" wrote in message
om...

River Birch Question number 2...
It is Late June here right now. But recently, the RBs are acting like
it is FALL! there are leaves all in my front yard from the RBs, they
still have a healthy ammount of leaves on them, but many are turing
yellow, and falling off. At first I thought it was due to the heavy
wind and rains we have had recently, but ill look out my window with
no wind outside and a leaf will just fall off right in front of my
eyes. I dont watter them (I know I know) but never have and they seem
to be fine with that. Plus, we get a rain shower on average every day
at 2pm here in the south suring the summer. Any clue?
thanks in advance!
Jameson