Old 01-07-2004, 09:02 AM
John Watson

Default Bush and his religion?

"Blue" wrote in message ...
You are correct in that both Washington and Jefferson were not bible
believers. However both made many references to "god" - Washington even
regularly attended church and associated with clerics - and that was
enough to baffle the citizens into believing they were bible believers.
Yes, other "founding fathers" were also non -believers (Franklin and
Paine)
but they did not hold national elected office. Paine went so far as to
ridicule the bible yet believe in "god" and was widely referred to even in
this day as an infidel.

I think that they both were fairly open about their being Deists.

The fact is that this government has never in our entire history had a
member of the federal government who was not a "believer" in biblical
mythology or a liar who said or implied (as above) that he was . That
makes America a de-facto theocracy.

I was a member of the federal government for many years, or do you mean an
elected official?

It goes even deeper than that as your chances of any elected job anywhere
is
nil if you identify yourself as a non-believer in the Jewish god system.

Probably, but the times, they are changing.

Workmen quite often put religious identifications on their trucks, yellow
page ads, etc. Doesn't hurt and might help but NOBODY goes around
publically identifying himself as a non-believer and that most certainly
includes our founding fathers. That is just not healthy.

True.

Non-believers are thus effectively disenfranshised in America as they lack
the needed power base of Judeo-Christianity. Without that no amount of
qualification will do.

Probably.

"John Watson" wrote in message

"Blue" wrote in message

"John Watson" wrote in message

"Bill Oliver" wrote in message
Why are Christians always so arrogant, cocky and just plain nasty to
people
who don't accept their fairy tale as fact?

We all seek confirmation of our supernatural beliefs (or lack of) from
others, it is just human nature. Some just lack the strength to

coexist
with others who believe they are wrong. The problem gets exquisite
when
one
raises his children to "believe" and either he or they changes their

mind
about that belief.

The cockiness comes from the fact that this is a biblical country, no

one
else is even allowed into federal power, so we are literally enveloped

in
"confirmation."

I agree with most of your post but not that "this is a biblical country".

The founding fathers were for the most part Deists.