Old 01-07-2004, 03:03 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default ridiculousy small peppers

After my seedling disasters this year I had to buy pepper plants from
nurseries. I got a Thai dragon and two Jalapenos. All three started
producing the tiniest peppers. I just yanked ten RED cayennes. The
biggest one was about the size of the nail on my thumb! 1/2 an inch
long. The Jalapenos are also producing very small peppers. I harvested
5 last night that amounted to about 1.5 normal sized ones. I have a
good 2 dozen jalapenos on the lower branches but I did not see a
single good sized one. Everything in that bed is going like
gangbusters. Broccoli, Cauliflower, tomaotes, cucumber. The green
beans and kidney beans are new this year--and I think they are
overshadowed a bit by the taller plants still. I'm going to cut back
some of the brocolli leaves that might be shadowing the lower half of
the plant. They did grow plarger than I expected.

Any other guess why the diminutive peppers? I don't think I'm short
of fertilizer. I worked a mix of fertilizers, compost, greensand,
peat, manure into the bed down to 15 inches deep.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener
http://members.aol.com/DigitalVinyl66/Garden2004.html