Old 01-07-2004, 03:04 PM

Default [IBC] Elm Taxonomy

Ulmus anglica Druce, 1932, British Isles, English elm.
Ulmus campestris is a synonym of U. minor.
Ulmus carpinifolia is a synonym of U. minor.
Ulmus xelegantissima Horwood, 1933, U. minor x plotii, parts of England.
Ulmus glabra Hudson, England, 1762, wych elm.
Ulmus xhollandica Miller, 1754-1768, U. minor x glabra, Europe, Dutch elm.
Ulmus minor Miller, 1768, field elm, Eurasia, North Africa.
Ulmus plotii Druce, 1911, England, Plot's elm.
Ulmus procera is a synonym of U. minor.
'Jacqueline Hillier' is sold in this country as U. xelegantissima. The garden
where it was found is within the range of U. plotii. However, due to
taxonomic difficulties, the RHS places 'J. H.' within U. xhollandica.
Regarding pests: Those of you who raise Chinese elm have probably encountered
leaf gall mites. I have to spray for them occasionally. A grower in Holland
who has what appears to be Ulmus xhollandica photographed infestation with leaf
gall mites, so I would watch 'Jacqueline Hillier' for them. Orthenex is good
for both leaf gall mites & spider mites.
Iris

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++